This article describes the procedure to install and configure the MicroStrategy components of Visual Crossing 4.5.
Prior to attempting this installation procedure, please ensure that you have a working MicroStrategy environment. In addition, if you are installing Visual Crossing in standalone mode, please install and configure the standalone Visual Crossing server.
Step 1- Install Visual Crossing plugins for MicroStrategy
Two plugins are available for the MicroStrategy environment:
VisualCrossingWeb - provides the integrated Visual Crossing server components (when running embedded configuration) and also provides the legacy widget support for older MicroStrategy APIs. This plugin is compatible with MicroStrategy Web. This plugin also provides additional integration features for MicroStrategy Web only such as MicroStrategy group security integration.
MstrVisVisualCrossingMap - provides the Visualization SDK based widget for MicroStrategy Web, MicroStrategy Library, MicroStrategy Mobile and MicroStrategy Desktop. It requires that a standalone server or embedded server is also available.
Install both of the above plugins within MicroStrategy Web by copying the files to the <MicroStrategy Web>/plugins/folder. If you are also running MicroStrategy Mobile or MicroStrategy Library, copy the MstrVisVisualCrossingMap plugin to the /plugins folder.
Step 2 - Restart the host web server for each MicroStrategy product.
Step 3 - Configure MicroStrategy Web connection properties
If you are installing on MicroStrategy Web, log in to MicroStrategy Web using a user with administrator privilege and navigate to the project preferences->Visual Crossing section:
If you are installing with a separate standalone Visual Crossing Map Server:
1. Check the box 'Use Standalone server'
2. Enter the domain name and port of the Visual Crossing map server. This will be used by the client browsers.
3. If you have changed the default path to the Visual Crossing server when installing the server component, hit the 'Show advanced' button. Modify the server application path as necessary:
4. Verify the path to the SDK Library Locations
Adjust the SERVERNAME as necessary based on the standalone map server server name.
Embedded Visual Crossing Map Server
If you are configuring the Map Server as embedded into MicroStrategy Web:
1. Enter the path to the Metadata folder in the Metadata location setting
2. Verify that the SDK Library path is correct. Typically this is set to the following for embedded configuration
Step 4 - Configure Visual Crossing components for MicroStrategy Mobile and Library
MicroStrategy Mobile and MicroStrategy Library based visualizations cannot currently read from the preferences settings in the MicroStrategy Web described above. To set up plugins for these products to use the Visual Crossing standlone server:
2. Edit the file in a text editor such as notepad or notepad++.
3. Find the following section:
4. Modify the SERVERNAME in both cases. In addition, modify the path to the /VisualCrossingWebServices application if necessary.